Saturday, December 1, 2007

Preggers in SE Asia

Being pregnant in a 3rd world Asian country has put a whole new spin on my conversations in this country . . . I've discovered that every woman - the world round - whose had a baby, has an oppinion on the process. Here's a few of the interesting tidbits I've heard recently.

Becoming a 'kakak' (older sibling)
A sweet friend who has two pre-teen daughters came to visit the day we got back and as soon as I told her our big news, I noticed an immediate shift in how she started treating Anna - She started instructing her daughters to stop handing things to Anna and helping her so much. She said, "Anna is a big sister now. She's got to learn how to serve not be served." Seems that in this country, once a child becomes the bigger sibling, they are no longer 'coddled and spoiled' but assumed to become the helper. I've heard this said theoretically in our country before, but it was the first time I'd heard it spoken practically. In a very poor nation where families become very large because of poor birth control, families can not afford to 'spoil' all their children. The older is immediately expected to take care of/help raise the younger, because the mother is already too busy with the other children. Interesting. Watch out Anna!

Cravings
One's cravings can predict the sex of the baby. My neighbor asked what I was craving and I talked about how this pregnancy was already different than Anna's. The smell and taste of meat - particularly chicken - made me feel nautious. I told her I was finding myself craving fruits and veggetables. She immediately informed me that that meant I was expecting a girl (this made me slightly embarrassed because I had just shared with her that this one feels like a boy). She then stated two or three examples (friends of hers) where this had born out to be true. I guess we might be looking at two little girls.

Seven months is perfect
The same friend who shared with me Anna's new elder sibling duties asked where we were planing on having the baby. After mentioning a near-by island that has good medical care, she asked what we might do if the baby came early (her first was nearly two months premature). I mentioned we'd probably hop on a plane as fast as we could. She agreed and casually mentioned that if my baby comes early it's better if the baby comes at 7 months. It's better they come at 7 months rather than 8. She said at 7 months they are considered more perfect than at 8. I really thought my tongue might have been hanging out of my mouth I was so shocked by this.

I'm really not sure why she thought this . . . I'm hoping to do ask around a bit more to see why this is a commonly held belief here.

2 comments:

Marc and Charity said...

When I was pregnant with Cerys, here in Cardiff and we were working with refugees, one of them told me that to know the sex of your baby you can tell by the size of the mom's backside- yes, her bum. I was like...oookkkaaay. She said big hiney was a boy and small was a girl. She walked around me and said...Yep, it's a boy! I was so upset. Like any woman, let alone a pregnant woman, wants to hear their behind is big. :) Thankfully we had a girl so her theory is out! ;)

Jonna said...

Found your blog through another. So happy to see that life is going so well for your family! Congratulations on the news! And remember...everyone is 50% correct in their predictions! :) Take care!