Sunday, March 2, 2008

Grace is awesome!

You know those parts in the Bible that are great and all, but when you read them, you're just like, "hmmm, that was definately something that only applied to the first century church." Come on, we've all had that thought . . . admit it :)
Well, enter I Corinthians 8: Food Sacrificed to Idols. Well, we've just moved into a home that is owned by a sweet Hindu family and on our first night they came over to offer sacrifices (rice, fruit, incense, etc) at the two altars in front of our home asking the gods for their permission and blessing for us to live in this house. All a bit new to me, and Joseph and I followed up with a prayer time through our house. But the interesting part was, as they were leaving, they offered us the fruit: bananas, pears and this little red 
hairy fruit you peel called rambutan. We took it and as we walked in the door, I excitedly said to Joseph, "Joseph! We get to eat this! And I don't even have to think twice that it's been offered to an idol! How cool is grace?!" He had a big smile on his face as well and for breakfast the next morning, we all enjoyed a nice fruit salad :)
" So, then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one . . .But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to an idol . . . but food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do." 

3 comments:

Amber said...

That fruit is so beautiful it brought a tear to my eye. I loved that post. Praise the Lord for grace!

I miss you so bad.

Brandi said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Brandi
(Renae's friend!)

Sarah said...

Wow! Whodathunk you'd ever get to literally live out that passage.
Once the movie and soundtrack are most definitely coming your way.