Sunday, March 14, 2010

Visiting

We just got home from visiting a sweet family and I wanted to post some pictures. Many of you might remember us telling you about a young lady, Dwi, who was involved in an accident with a friend of ours and had to have brain surgery, and had just found out she was having twins. Praise God she's out of the hospital, she's healthy, she is still experiencing a healthy pregnancy, and her husband's family invited us over to their home for lunch today. We went with some friends of ours and spent the afternoon eating quite the variety of Asian food: ground rice and vegetable soup, dried salty fish, fried fish and chicken, spicy sauces, noodle soup, and of course, rice. They made SO much food, that I tried to take several helpings as a compliment and ended up with a very full tummy. At one point, though, I kinda freaked out as I was eating my soup (that was garnished with fried sardines and peanuts) and noticed a fried roach also floating around in my soup. Eeek! I panicked a bit and thought quickly about how I could somehow NOT finish my soup and still NOT offend them as I still had some in my plate . . . not sure if I succeeded, but I simply couldn't eat another bite (I did try) with a roach floating around!

The family was incredibly gracious and it was one of those rare afternoons where the conversation just seemed to be effortless and easy and laughter was always present. The patriarch of the family is  a Pak Haji, meaning he has been to Mecca, and he is a very well respected man in his community and shared a few stories with us about his trip. His wife had been cooking since 9am, and seemed delighted we were there. She kept telling me, "please come back, please come back," and touching my hands and hugging me.

Sweet family. 

This is Pak Haji and his wife. The white hat he's wearing signifies he's been to Mecca.


Dwi's mother-in-law, Dwi and our hostess





2 comments:

Heidi said...

Fried roaches, huh. Yet another reason I think you are amazing, I would have thrown up. Or got up and ran away screaming. No, I'm not exaggerating. Ben still talks about the mission field sometimes, I agree, then posts like this make me wonder if I have what it takes! ;)

Unknown said...

So glad to hear update on DWI. Love the stories & pics on your blog. The kebayas are so pretty. Wow, 4 yrs., Really?