Sunday, May 27, 2007

Borobudur and Bowling

What is life like on our island?

Well, imagine you live in Pea Ridge, Arkansas (only with a few more tennis courts and a badminton club, but no mule jumping competitions) and now imagine that is the capital city - no offense to Pea Ridge - it just might help create an image. There really isn't much to do and so when we had the opportunity to get out of our island and do a little site seeing we were really excited. We traveled to a city of about 5 million people and felt like we had been transported to a different planet. There were malls - 4 malls!!!! (and I hate malls). But we enjoyed indulging in our old sin nature of materialism. I think I visted every single coffee house and drank more coffee in 1 week than I ever drank in my whole like in America. Lindsey and I enjoyed just walking around, looking at everything - we kind of felt like the 'country cousin'! Most building were airconditioned, which made a wonderful sweaty-free change from our island where air conditioning is rare; it was really nice! One of the malls we visited even had a bowling alley! It was new and had not yet opened, but they said we could play anyway. I guess we were able to play the very first game ever played in that city. Mayebe we should get out more often! :) Anyway, we had a great time! Lindsey and I were even able to go to the movies for a date night and watch Spiderman 3. It was great! The next day, after these fun adventures from the 21st century, we were able to travel back in time to the 9th Century and visit the largest Bhuddist temple in the world - Borobudur.

The whole structure is designed to give worshipers a path from their world of sin and pleasure (the bottom level) all the way up to Nirvana (the top level). All I could think of, though, was how my daughter - who is created in the image of God - is so beautiful and innocent. Okay and how beautiful my wife is too. So after traveling from the 9th to the 21st Century, all in the same area, we decided it was time to go back home and re-enter our daily life of what feels like the early 21st Century. Pea Ridge here we come :).

6 comments:

Jake Freedom said...

AHHHH!! How fun to get little glimpses of your daily lives! I was so excited when Jacob left it up on the computer to see. Keep it up -- we love you guys! Micaiah

Rachel said...

hey friends! we're so excited that you have a blog now! we love blogging--it's a good way to update our family. Thanks for caving in to peer pressure :) Love you guys & praying for you!

Rachel, Matt & Ava Setliffe
www.setliffefamily.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness, I love this. I'm so excited for your updates. Mine's pretty boring and rarely updated, especially with anything of depth, but maybe now that you guys are on, I'll be better about keeping it up to date. Love you guys so much. Anna's pic is precious.

Bob Carver said...

What I want to know is: Was Spiderman 3 in English?

BTW, Lindsey, your cousin Alissa graduated from med school last Sunday. It's sorta hard for me to think of her as "Dr. Carver."

Brett and Ruth Ellen Tubbs said...

Glad to see you've jumped on the blogging bandwagon! I'm looking forward to hearing more about what's going on in your lives - we sure miss you!
-Ruthie

Anonymous said...

Okay - so I just tried to leave a comment, and am now retyping it because I am totally blog handicapped and didn't know you had to have an account first! So -just want you to know that I'm with you guys on the blogging thing, but I decided that I really should join the 21st century, and I love you guys so much that I want to be able to tell you so on your blog :)! So - love you to pieces, and love to see more about your life!