Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Could Camping be any more Fun? Part 1

I submit that it can not.
Last week Lindsey and I had the brilliant idea of going camping together for the first time in a long time. Since Anna has entered our life it has been more difficult to find opportunities to get away and do things like camping, and so when the Cs offered to watch Anna for the night we were really excited to be able to go.
“So, where do we go?” asked Lindsey.
“I don’t know, how about next to the dam? It’s pretty there and I’m sure we could find a spot private enough so we don’t attract a crowd” answered her adoring husband.
And so we hopped onto our motor bike (had to pack light) and off we were.
40 minutes later we arrived, found a beautiful, secluded spot and set up camp.

For dinner we ate raman noodles (thank you Harrimans and Haines) and then watched a most gorgeous sunset, followed by a sky full of new (to us) southern stars. It was amazing. It looked as though there was a highway of starry galaxies running across the breadth of the skies (like a bright Milky Way but across the whole sky). After thoroughly enjoying God’s beautiful creation we decided to call it a night and go to bed.
Little did we know that only now would our adventure truly begin.
After sleeping for about an hour, I was awoken by a slight noise outside our tent. We had parked our motor bike just beside us, and suddenly I saw someone stand up from behind the bike and walk over to where our fire was in front of our tent. I didn’t say anything, just watched him. He never said a word, stood there for a moment and then just walked away. It was very strange, but I thought that maybe it was the man we had met earlier and he was coming by to check on us. Not too worried, I tried to fall back asleep but because I didn’t have a mat – I was a little uncomfortable. Only 30 minutes later however, I was again awoken by a similar noise right outside our tent. I sat up again and as I did I saw a man next to our bike trying to steal our helmets that were locked to our bike. In a fluster, all I could muster was a “Maaf Pak,” which literally means “Excuse me, sir” (thank you mom and dad for all those good manners). As I did he promptly pee-ed his pants (no I don’t know that) and ran away as fast as he could. By this time Lindsey woke up and I told her what happened.
Needless to say, we packed up and headed home. So much for our great night of camping.
Our lesson learned though – don’t go camping alone here. All of our friends laughed at the story but strongly warned us not to go out alone.
I guess we’ll ask before going next time – and I’ll practice some better warnings for any future run-ins with thieves.
The trip home, however, is worthy of another blog altogether. Stay blog-ed for the rest of the story.

4 comments:

Micaiah said...

The only thing I have to say is:
Please tell me that Joseph is not wearing a vest without a shirt under it??!! AHHHHHH!

Joseph and Lindsey said...

The only thing I have to say is:
What are you talking about? The style is hot. I look good.

Sarah said...

I can't wait for part two. The pictures of Anna are so cute. And Joseph, we'll be happy to send you shirts to go under that vest...you just let us know ;)

natedogandsarahc said...

i'm trying to picture the two of you on the mini bike and it brings a smile to my face. go for the vest-no shirt look joseph. whatever works man! bring on part two.