I submit that it could
As a reminder, Lindsey and I are camping and are awoken twice by passers-by, the 2nd of which was with someone trying to steal our helmets while standing approximately 2 ft away from us. Upon getting up and deciding to pack everything back on our motorbike, Lindsey very ably says, "Joseph, our back tire looks really low." To which I reply, "Dang, your right."
So here we are alone by a lake, 45 minutes from town, leaving because of thieves with a flat tire on our bike. Thankfully our sense of humor was still doing well and we looked at each other with smiles and said, "Well, here we go."
A normal trip home from the lake should have taken us 30-45 minutes but the following series of events ended up taking right at 2 1/2 hours:
10:45 - We wake up our first tire shop owner to ask if he would fill up our flat tire. He does and then very kindly (wisely) asks if we just want to spend the night there. We graciously decline.
11:00 - We are back in business and back on the road.
11:05 - I sense a lack of control on the bike and realize our tire is flat again. At this point we are between villages and lost as to what to do. Should we keep going or go back to that (Oh, so wise) man's house.
11:07 - We stop a total stranger and ask for his help. (He tells us there is a village 2 km ahead and that we could find a shop owner there.) We go ahead.
11:10 - We arrive at this next village with our new friend and promptly wake up our second tire shop owner (there are many because this is very common). At this point he takes our tire off the bike and finds a huge tear in the inner tube.
11:13 - The shop owner does not have a new inner tube and so proceeds to walk up and down the road waking up his friends to ask if they have one. None do and so he patches an old inner tube that is not made for our bike.
11:15 - The shop owner's daughter begins to cry because she is awoken by the commotion of now 6 spectators to this very unusual and interesting white couple's adventure.
11:20ish - We are told that it is not smart to camp alone.
(Daughter still crying)11:30ish - We are told that it is not smart to camp alone.
(Daughter still crying)
11:40ish - We are told that it is not smart to camp alone.
(Grandma wakes up and takes grand-daughter)
11:50ish - We are told that it is not smart to camp alone.
(All spectators are still watching the show)
At this point I was planning my next Amazon.com purchase:

12:00 - Our tire is fixed and we gladly, cautiously hit the road. And of course are reminded gain that it is not smart to camp alone. But on top of that we are warned not to stop for anything, even if there is someone lying dead on the road (they would most likely be faking and try to rob us). Gee, thanks.
12:45 - We arrive into town, and I am so cold from riding home in only shorts and T-shirt that I have tears running down my cheeks.
1:00am - We get home and are so glad to crawl into our own bed. And then reliving our last 6 hours, we laugh at our attempt to have a rare, relaxing evening alone without Anna. Maybe next time.
4 comments:
My goodness, kids, I would have been scared silly. That is an uncredible story - I guess you're "making memories", huh? Thankful that Dad was taking care of you. And that you, Lindsey, are still speaking to Jos; I probably wouldn't be.
See you in 63 days.
Karen
Oh goodness, that is quite an adventure! I'm so glad you made it home safe and sound. Your grapes are really beautiful!
You're the stinkin' man Joe Mason. You're a hopless romantic, and if I'm ever stranded in southeast asia in the middle of the night... I want you with me. Love ya dude.
hey dumb and dumber. you guys are hilarious. i have so many pictures of the event runing through my head i cannot stop laughing. way to go flip flop boy. ;)
Post a Comment